The Hulme Common Room, for graduate students, was inaugurated on 23 April 1963, with a celebratory dinner (menu pictured above). It was named the Hulme Common Room because it was financed from the Hulme funds. These funds were left to the college by William Hulme of Kearsley in the county of Lancaster (assumed to be the William Hulme who matriculated from Brasenose in 1648). It was reported in the 1964 Brazen Nose Magazine that the opening of the original HCR accommodation, in St Mary’s Entry, was marked by a sherry party and that many common room dinners and other social functions had been held in its first year. Graduate student numbers had reached 70 by 1964, and with over 200 members in 2013, the common room has grown significantly over the last 50 years! More information can be found on the HCR website.